Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Ukrainians don't mince words...

All week I have had two other PCVs in town with me. They are working at the camp that I did last year, but this year it takes place in the city instead of at a small former Young Pioneer camp in the sticks. When I was not around, one of them pulled out the couch to sleep on and disconnected all the wires from my telephone.

So, the "master" was called to come around and check out what was wrong with the phone (whose line I share with a rather unpleasant neighbor who yells about me all the time to my landlady, even though I use the phone rarely). He came, said that the wires were incorrectly plugged in (which I had attempted to fix on my own) and promptly set about making them right. Afterwards he chatted with me a bit, curious about what I was doing there, who paid me, if I was paid in US dollars, if I was alone... and if I liked to drink vodka.

I told him that I was not able to drink alcohol, and he asked why not. I told him that I was on medication, and he wanted a further explanation, so I told him that I was taking meds for tuberculosis. He looked at me and exclaimed, "but you're not thin! You're fat! Only thin people have tuberculosis!" Then I attempted to explain that I did not have tb, but have been exposed to it, and he repeated what I said properly and understood the situation. He then asked if I had been hanging out with any really thin people, which is a particularly funny question, since to me a lot of Ukrainians are extremely thin, some even to the point of malnurishment. Especially the young women.

He seemed satisfied with the phone and the answers I had given him, and as I was walking him to the door, he put his arm around me, to the roundest point of my hip and firmly took a hold and repeated that I did not have tb, because I was fat.

It was here that I realized how much I have changed in these almost two years. Normally I would have been appalled or offended by his statements, let alone the grab, but I now understand that Ukrainians almost always tell you what is on their mind that almost always includes commenting on your body type, clothes, hair, face, etc. I just expect it and find it normal.

After he left, I grabbed my bag to go to the market and saw him sitting outside on the opposite bench of the babas. He called me over and all the babas started cluck cluck clucking. We spoke briefly and he told me some things my neighbor had said, which other than me using the internet (which I do not) I didn't understand. I said that she never spoke to me and only to my landlady and then she only yelled. He laughed and said that yes, my landlady didn't like my neighbor, and at the very least, I seemed ot have win the approval of the master. Again, he asked whether or not I could drink before allowing me to depart on my chores. I guess if I could have, he would have offered to go out for some wine or a sto gram of vodka.

Sometimes not being able to drink has it's benefits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page