Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Ah, the Joys of Moving

Yet again, almost too soon for my taste, it is time to move again. Since graduation in May of 2000, I have moved no less than six times. That's more than once a year. And then there were the intermediate moves: packing up and storing things before heading off to Russia, or prior to 2000, moving from West Grove to Alfred to West Chester. Or the moves that have left me with no where to be inbetween other assignments. Like this one.

But I am making some progress: I figured out what I need to do to close the bank accounts, and cancel the cable. Electric will be shut off. Mail will be forwarded. Keys to campus have been turned in. The first set of boxes have been procured. Books are currently being put into boxes and carely labelled with lists. Because I am moving to Ukraine and will not have access to said books for over two years, I figured it would be in my best interest to label all boxes as thoroughly as possible with what contents are inside so that if I find that I need a book, it will be easy for someone else to find it. Or that is the idea.

I called the land lady who has agreed to allow me to hold a yard sale this weekend. Flyers need to be made, e-mails need to go out, so forth and so on. Hopefully I can sell the rest of my furniture and some house wares.

Tomorrow (I believe) I shall meet with a professor here on campus who has connections to Ukraine who has an interest in teaching about civics and education. Sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to the meeting.

Also on the agenda: oh geesh, just about everything. Cleaning, packing, calls, e-mails, decisions: what to throw out, what to keep. Organizing... Etc.

This however, is the first time that I can remember being glad to get out of town. When I was leaving Massachusetts there was a lot of hestitation involved. I knew what and who I was leaving behind: A job that I loved despite its numerous challenges, faculty who were always one hundred percent supportive, and of course those kids. I was excited about the challenge of graduate school, but that quickly deteriorated. I'm happy that it's finished and I have no reservations about leaving. I just can't wait to skip town. Because I will skip out of here as fast as my legs can take me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page