Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Monday, February 20, 2006

I'm Lovin It

I'm home. I'm in America. I'm listening to English music. I'm surrounded by folks with a little jingle in their pockets. I can eat alone and not feel threatened. I can understand that menu. People smile when they take my order. There is a drive thru open 24 hours a day. The only drive thru I've seen. There is play equipment outside. It looks like new. The bathrooms are clean. And they have toliet paper. People leave you alone.

You have to know where I am.

But perhaps you can not understand why I love it so.

The familarity is what brings me here. Like opening up the Sunday Inquirer while drinking Bigleow tea with honey. Like being behind the wheel on I-90 listening to NPR or a tape. Like putting on pajamas and reading a good book. Like Lifetime Television.

Whether it be the Royal Chizburger, the gamburger, or just kartoshki fries, I am hapy and content. I am back in those places. I have never left. I am home. And I'm lovin it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

Due to some other events here, I have been eating more at McDonald's lately and they have different Chicken Nuggets. They are good too, but not as good. It's somehow in the way that they are fried, like they seem, maybe just a tad more healthy, if you can believe that. And they have something like my favorite sauce, the hot mustard, but again, not *exactly* like it.

7:09 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

A few friends of mine mentioned they only eat at McDonald's when out of the country. It's like a little bubble of America transported away. Sometimes you need a break from all the new stuff to give your mind a rest.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Meaghan said...

What I really appreciate about McDonalds' world domination is that they serve as public restrooms wherever I go. As an American, I feel somehow entitled to waltz in (it's like a consulate) and use the facilities without buying anything. And if anyone gives me a hard time about it, I can always get some french fries.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page