Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

New Address!

Well, this is exciting news to me! I finally went down to the post office after the various Ukrainian holidays and switched the names on the post office box that was left for me from another volunteer who finished up her service. Have I mentioned how fabulous the volunteers in town are?

Anyway, you can still write to me via the Kyiv address, the office will send letters, packages and such down to me on a biweekly basis, I believe. However, if you are sending a package, I would adamantly advise that you only use the address here in my town. I am going to send out an e-mail to some folks who have already asked about my new address, but if you would also like it, leave a comment here or e-mail me.

I also know that some folks are wondering what the heck could I use here in Ukraine? Well, I can tell you, but please also note that a lot of this stuff will come in handy once I have my own place, which should be in the end of March/early April, but you can start your grocery lists now if you are interested in spreading some international love.

SPICES: Ukrainian foods are notoriously bland. Tasty, but bland. Send chili powder, cumin, curry, cinnamon, anything that could really spice some stuff up.
SALSA: no, I am not kidding. Someone got an El Paso fajita kit and it was to die for.
Recipes. I'd love to hear about some tasty (and easy to make) foods that you are eating. Especially if they include potatoes, since that is about all I will eat.
Peanut butter. That stuff is always tasty
Books. Classics for students and library at my institution. You know, all those books you were told to read in high school. If you have any hanging out on your shelf that you won't read again (or ever) send 'em on over. I can make use to them, and you can send them now.
Tiny blank cassette tapes. The really small kind. I need to start practicing taping myself and Russian speakers for language use.
American Dictionary or Thesaurus. I should have packed this, but didn't. That small Merriam Webster business would be good.

Again, if you are interested in sending some stuff, please do not send it to Kyiv. Word is that things have to be searched through about 9 times before they make it to the office, where they are then opened again and looked at, and things just get 'misplaced,' you know, especially tasty or expensive things.

If you are reading this and thinking "yeah, right! I ain't sending nothing to her, sounds like too much trouble!" then at least write or send a post card from someplace you've been. That will also be useful for me in the classroom as well as make my freaking day, since I love hearing from all of you.

2 Comments:

Blogger HouseRunner said...

send me your address !!

10:00 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

sent it to you. hopefully you got it.

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page