Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The каса in Киев

On my way to the cluster I had a"layover" in Kyiv for most of the day. I spent most of my time in the PC office doing various odds and ends. As suggested by my TCF, I got to the train station over an hour early to buy the ticket out to the cluster. Seeing long lines in all directions, I panicked and went to a window with a 6 griven surcharge only to be refused service. "Go the window 41 or 42 for tourist services" she said impolitely. Taken aback I asked "what?" and she repeated herself. I did not quite understand what was going on and the man behind me repeated the window numbers gleefully enjoying the scene. Indigant, I said "Я не туристка" before leaving the scene.

I was furious. Do you know what was the indicator of my foreign birth? Politeness. When I arrived at the window I waited about a minute for her to finish whatever the heck she was doing before she looked at me and I began, "Я хот.." and she then yelled for me to go to a different window.

When I went to the foreign window I saw a sign that said something about 25 griven. Using my condusive reasoning skills, I concluded that the foreign window would charge me $5 on top of whatever the price of the ticket was. I was beginning to feel like I was back in Russia where two prices exist-one for Russians, and one for foreigners. I consulted a man who knew English for varification and he said I was correct and that she could not sell me the ticket I wanted anyway. I then, looking anxiously at my watch, stood in yet another line, praying that it would move fast enough for me to catch this ting. Thankfully, it did and also thankfully, despite the woman's original hesitation, she sold me the ticket and my return ticket to N--. Painless. Finally. I was then off to find where this train would arrive, as all PCVs told me that the electrichkas are found on a different set of tracks...

All was well though and I was picked up by my TCF and taken to my host family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page