Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Levoca, Slovakia

Last time through Slovakia in September there was not enough time to go to Levoca, a town that basically every guide book raves about, so I made sure that I had time to do it this time.

I was excited to see this "cute," "authentic" Slovakian town.

Within 10 minutes I had walked pretty much all over the old part of town and found myself.... underwhelmed.

What the guide books suggest viewing is the interior of the old church there, where you can view some very beautiful alter pieces that adorn the back of the 100 Slovak Kruna. It was made by some master Slovakian artist back in the day, and you know, if something appears on money, it's usually worth seeing.

I went to the church and saw that the front was being reconstructed, but looked like it was still open, so I walked across the street to buy an entrance ticket. It was there that I learned that they would not open up the church for one person. This, I found, not only disappointing, but also quite against the teachings of Christ.

So, with one less thing to do, I walked around again for another 10 minutes before finding a nice little cafe to have a small lunch in.

After that, I walked around again for 10 minutes and decided to just go to the internet cafe and write back home before the bus headed back to Kosice.

Later, when I got back to Kosice, and further on to Bratislava, I retrospectively really grew to like the place. It's cozy, cute, and would be a nice place to spend a lazy weekend, if you had things like money or company to share conversations with.

I am sure that it is not the be all and end all that the guide books make it out to be, but I am certain that if I ever have the chance that I will return, but next time I'll bring along some friends so I'll actually get a chance to see inside of the church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page