Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Leaving Site

As per usual here in Ukraine, nothing went according to plans, but it all ended up okay in the end.

All packages were mailed, rooms were cleaned, and trains were caught, but not without a few snags and plenty of tears.

I did fail to make the goodbye rounds around the community as I had wanted, but I did give flowers to the post office lady, who has been like a ray of sunshine in an otherwise dark and thunderous world (at least at the central post office).

My friend was so upset when she went to work that her boss told her to go home, so she came over and helped me clean up my apartment. Without her, I don't know if I would have been able to do it all.

My bags are entirely too heavy, but souvenirs are hard to part with, so I don't know what will happen or give along the way.

My coordinator came to pick me up and my land lady with her family came to collect the keys. The taxi was called, the men carried my suitcase and bags and loaded me into the taxi. My friend held my hand as I broke down in the backseat, before my ever humorous coordinator said, "Don't cry Molly, I think that you will catch your train after all."

6 or 7 of my students came out to see me off as well. I was very touched. Some of them gave me final gifts and I wept as I hugged each of them goodbye.

As I had thought, the hardest part about leaving was saying goodbye to all the people who have been like a family to me in these past 2 years. I will miss them all so much and am so thankful to have been placed at a wonderful site.

Nikolaev, I will miss you. You will always be my home away from home.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Molly, you did so much for your kids in Nikolaev, and I know you -- you'll continue to be there for them when they need it. Enjoy yourself travelling, and then find something to do that you really enjoy!

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page