Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Position Filled

Finally, this past week I was able to get all my materials together to put out my first resume and cover letters to potential employers.

That also meant that I have been able to do my first checks on the status of those materials. Within 24 hours of applying I saw that my resume was being processed, but that the job that I had applied for the day before was now no longer being advertised on the college's web site. After checking on the second day, I saw on my login page "Position Filled" in regards to the job I had applied for. Awesome.

I realize that these are obstacles that I must get used to when beginning the job search, but it is still very frustrating and disappointing. Probably more due to how time consuming this process is, especially here in Ukraine. To apply for one job I needed to come back to the internet cafe no less than 3 times in one night before I was sorta able to accomplish anything and then finding out the job wasn't even open anymore. Strike two.

Most of my peers are not looking for work until they finally come home. I don't feel that I am in a financial position to wait that long (plus it's just not in my nature to feel comfortable not knowing what I'm doing several months from now) so the search continues.

There will be a lot more rejection, I know.

In conjuction with looking for a job I have been looking for an apartment, which has been a very extremely similiar experience. Who wants to live with someone they've never met? (Surprisingly no one asks whether or not I have job, which in my position, is a good thing!). People are nice about rejecting me though, which I suppose is to their credit.

I am still working hard for a spectacle at my University, which hopefully will go off without much embarrassment. (My students will be singing and dancing to the Broadway hit "Hello Dolly"). Soon things should settle down and I can continue my fervant search for jobs and homes with hopefully less of the "position filled" responses and more of a happy 'we'd like to schedule an interview with you' response. Time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page