Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Friday, October 05, 2007

Day of the City

Several weeks ago my site celebrated its 218th birthday. Compared to other cities in Ukraine, my site is rather young--both Kyiv and Lviv are over a thousand years old, but this is normal in parts of the south and east that did not become cities or towns until the Russians brought people and industries to most of this part of the country.

I had been looking forward to City Day as an opportunity to buy souvenirs for folks back home and to pay a visit to the "earring lady" who I haven't seen in ages.

Another PCV from the area also came in for the event, so we met up with our local friends and explored the various events up and down Sovietskaya, our pedestrian street. We saw students decked out in traditional costumes, doing dances. Later students from the same local university put on a fashion show. Many stands with various crafts and school displays lined the edge of the street. Flowers were also all over. It was great to see the city so alive and full of people. But no earring lady.

The highlight of the day was a free late night concert held at the end of Sovietskaya, down by our Lenin statue. It had several big name Ukrainian acts which I didn't know--I don't own a radio and my tv doesn't work, so I'm pretty out of it. They were all really good though. Some old man who is apparently popular (and doubles as the head of some cultural university in Kyiv) sang a song about salo (pig fat) and then another song about vareniki (dumplings), both Ukrainian national cuisine items, which seemed very strange to me. I can't imagine singing about hamburgers or hot dogs, but hey!

The main headliner was Annie Laurak, whose songs I have heard a lot and who is really popular. She started around 11pm and even did Bon Jovi's "It's My Life" which sadly, the Ukrainians knew the lyrics better than me (what about "Livin' on a Prayer"? Or "Dead or Alive?," Annie?). But we had a great time.

During that day, my friend spotted some coupons to go to the local ice skating rink for a free hour the next day, so we all made plans to do that the next morning. The PCV and I arrived a half hour early--before the rink even opened up--and there was already a line! I had not been skating since I was a VISTA in Boston and was feeling anxious--falling is a lot more dangerous now. We laced up and set off--the Ukrainians and I holding onto the bar. The other PCV skated off leaving us in her tracks, but kindly came back and offered us all trips around the rink. While I was out with her, I was able to remember my barrings a bit and got the hang of it again and soon enough I was skating around the rink fairly confidently. When our time was up, we filed out off the ice. Everyone had a super time and it was certainly the best ending to the City Day.

In a lot of ways this event helped to restore my enthusiasm for Ukraine, the people, and my purpose here and things have been on the up and up ever since!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page