Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Movie Quote

Several weeks ago I spent all my time reading. I read about a book every day. This past week instead of reading I've been watching films. This is done basically at the mercy of other PCVs and what movies they have been able to get their hands on.

Anyway, this quote comes from one of those films, which despite being bad had a pretty excellent cast: "If there is one thing I know it's never to mess with mother nature, mother-in-laws, or mother freaking Ukrainians."

While at first I found it amusing, since I am always happy to see Ukraine mentioned in Hollywood films (even if it as a cocaine outline as in Nicholas Cage's "Lord Of War" which we are now watching in film club) I was somewhat perplexed by its meaning. I suppose that there must be a stereotype of Ukrainians as Russian mobsters or something, which is highly unfortunate, since so many people here are not at all associated with these types and that is not the everyday existence in this country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page