Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

No more pencils, no more books....

Ah yes! To be done! Alas, I am not, but a major committment ended today as the students turned in their final exams and got their papers back. So now, it should be all thesis all the time. I had been working really steadily, making good progress (about 5 pages a day) but that was awhile ago. Now I have to figure out how to motivate myself again and get back into the groove, as I am quickly falling behind.

I am a goal oriented person, so I will set up some new goals that will begin in effect tomorrow (I know, wouldn't Ben Franklin be rolling over in his grave). They are: to write at least 8 pages a day, completing Chapter 2 while the s.o. is in town. Next week, complete a draft of Chapter 3 before heading out to Lasell's graduation.

These goals actually do not seem all that realistic to me, but I will try. I set about 3 goals during the New Year and they are all accomplished for the most part. Of course, I did cheat and make the first goal to go to the Mummer's Parade in Philadelphia, which uh, is on New Year's Day. But whatever. I'm not keeping score, are you?

All in all, their should only be 4 Chapters (at least that is what is proposed in my introduction) and each chapter should be approx. 20 pages in length, so perhaps this feat is not impossible.

In the meantime, no learning Ukrainian or reading about its history until the thesis is done. That more than anything else will motivate me to finish it and hand each chapter off to my chair. I suppose learning what your own weaknesses are help in situations like this, by postponing things that you actually enjoy to work on things that need to get done. Isn't it awful that we must deprive ourselves joy in order to get stuff done?

In the meantime I also do have to submit an updated resume and an aspiration statement to the country desk, put on some sort of disclaimer on this blog (I read in the volunteer handbook yesterday that there needs to be something like that), and have my mother find my birth certificate so I can get my new passport (this is exciting, the Peace Corps issues special passports) without having to surrender my old one until Staging takes place in late September. While I suppose I probably will not be leaving the country until I go to the Ukraine, the dream is still there for last minute European getaways and I don't want to give that dream up just yet....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page