Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Tahquamenon

Going back to my earlier adventures in the UP, after I finished with Mackinac Island and took the ferry back to get the car in St. Ignace, I headed further north to Tahquamenon State Park for the evening. Tahquamenon hosts a set of waterfalls, the Upper Falls being the third largest waterfall east of the Mississippi, behind Niagara and some place in Kentucky. It measures second in volume behind Niagara.

In the morning I set out on a hike from the campground down to the smaller of the two, the Lower falls. We had read in our guidebooks that you can take a canoe to an island in the stream (haha, now I've got that song stuck in your head, don't I?) where you can view both sides of the Lower falls. I was rather surprised at  my company's dexterity in the water as he skillfully took us all around. After I had viewed everything I headed back to the campground and to the car to take on the Upper falls some miles upstream. After many many steps down to the viewing platforms I came to the waterfall. It was beautiful, but when compared to something like Niagara, it fails to compete. What could hold its own against those mighty falls though? It was beautiful and somewhat serene, and I took some photos and then marched back up all the stairs and then headed out to our next scheduled stop along the way--the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum on Whitefish Pointe, which was also another really great stop and provided the first views of Lake Superior.

For anyone keeping track, mom and I did make it to the Tigers game, even though it rained like cats and dogs (or Tigers and Lions?) before we got in. The Tigers won against the Twins and tomorrow we should be off to take in our third and final game in Milwaukee.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

another nice shot by molly d!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember the Muppets - we do have repeats on TV over here...

We used to have one of their albums - must try & look for it

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page