Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Another Concept I Can't Wrap my American Head Around

Yesterday I was asked to give the fifth year studnets credit. I was given a form and I asked, "exactly what am I do with this? What kind of mark do I need to give?" "You need to write pass," my colleague responded. "Even to the students who never showed up?" "Yes, because the mark will go on their diplomas, you see." I didn't. I tried asking a few times more, incredulous, trying to understand why I would need to pass a student who never attended one class. Getting nowhere, I then switched gears as to not offend and asked why any student would show up if they would get a credit whether or not they attended or did any work. Essentially, I have no authority or purpose (it seems to me) if this is the case, therefore, why teach at all?

I see that this is something I am going to need to ask more questions about to other PCVs and to my university. I try to work my classes on a point system, assigning a specific amount for every assignment with the intent of using them to calculate a grade at the end of the semester. This seems now pointless and no less confusing to my students.

My colleague menioned the possibility of doing something else with my courses next semester, but I am not sure what that grading scheme is like or if it is any different.

But honestlyy, from my American education background, I just can not comprehend how or why someone can get credit for a class he or she never attended. I am hoping (and assuming) that there is more logical explanation for everything, but currently I am at a loss.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you serious? Actually, it doesn't totally surprise me. It is shocking, though, that you as the teacher wouldn't have control over the classes you teach. It IS rather communisitic. Make sure all are equal at the most basic level and make sure you don't ruffle anyone's feathers. Haven't you ever heard the saying, "We're ALL winners!" What a shame and a waste, Molly. It's gotta tick you off.

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet they are nailing certain of the students (the ones whose uncles arent on the education board or something?) some other way that doesnt involve your grading.
Maybe Im just a lazy bastard, but if I was told this my first thought would be "Hell, that sounds a lot easier! Why did I just find this out now?"

On other matters, I see Belarus is trying to pull a Ukraine with their election. That ugly old communist troglodite of a president is going to have to sell his big apartment and move to the dacha at this rate.
I am solvent again, and your parcel is packed and ready to go in the mail tomorrow. Same address still?
-eoin

7:01 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

The Serbian system is similar to what you describe, but we're allowed to decide which students get our signature and which ones don't. The general policy is that if you don't miss any more than three classes per semester, you get the signature - no matter whether you did any work or even opened your mouth all year.

This policy varies from one instructor to the next, though. Some professors sign off on every single student. Others refuse to give a signature to students who miss even one homework assignment. Either way, our only ways of motivating students are to withhold the signature (which means that if anyone checks, then they have to pay a fee of 2000 dinars, or about $30 US, to take the exam) or appeal to their altruistic good nature (you can imagine how well that works).

I've decided that I'll sign off on anyone who comes to class regularly (I have 400 students so it's too difficult to keep track of anything more detailed) except in classes where I give a significant long-term assignment. In that case, completion of the assignment is necessary to get my signature.

As I interpret it, though, it's a question of educational philosophy: in much of Europe, classes exist only to prepare students for their final exams. Therefore, if you believe you can prepare yourself for the exam better than the professor can, why waste your time going to lectures?

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page