Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

My "New" Apartment

So it is official. I moved into my very own apartment some time ago. As you can only imagine, I am beside myself with joy. After 6 months of living with 2 host families, placking and unpakcing, I am finally settled and it is so exciting.

I was very taken with my apartment the first time I saw it (it was actually the only apartment I looked at) mostly for two reasons: the size and the washing machine. Those two things made me not so critical of anything else-or even notice anything else. When I decided to see it a second time, the week before I moved in, I saw the place more clearly. I noticed that the kitchen had no cupboards, for example. Or that the washing machine was kind of old. Or that it lacks any rugs. So my enthusiasm dropped a bit--but after moving ni and trying to make certain things work, I really like it here a lot.

I am a quick walk from a bus and marshrutka stop, close to my host family, and close to a market. I am further from work, but now I get the medical officer's recommended 45 minute a day walk just by walking to work. Anything extra is just a bonus.

The apartment itself has two rooms (actually it has more, but they have storage in the third room), which in itself for volunteers in the city is nice. It has a kolonka, which means I can have hot water whenever I want (as long as their is water), of course the washing machine, a new toilet, a little balcony, a big big bed, a fish tank (без fish), an old tv (no remote, must "program" channels manually), and other comforts of home. I say I am living quite large here in N--, and definitely for a PCV in general.

I think it's quite a cozy place and has plenty of space for visitors, so if anyone is actually interested in trekking all the way out to Ukraine, there is room for you. It's certainly not for the timid traveller, or those used to modern conveniences or expecting Western Europe luxuries or sites; nor is it even the kind of place that I'd want anyone to travel around on their own in, but it's something else, indeed. And for now, it's home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

molly, i want to trek to the ukraine. next summer maybe?

4:43 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

whenever. just come.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page