Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Harrassment

This is the epitome of sad.

When I was visiting my clustermate in K. R. I exchanged phone numbers with another PCV. As per the routine, they give you their digits, then you call them so your number will show up on their phone.

Unfortunately, I accidently dialed a 9 instead of a 6, so we are walking, I'm calling her, but her phone is not ringing. Then someone picks up, and I hang up, obviously having made a mistake. I fix the number, all is okay, but this person calls back numerous times saying "Kto eta?" and hangs up before I can get out the vye obsheelous numerom (wrong number). This continuse for the rest of the day at different intervals.

I go home. He continues to call me, about a dozen to twenty times a day. For days. I'm talking to my other clustermate, who speaks Russian well, on my land line and he calls. She tells me a variety of things to say to this kid. We have fun with it--, "Oleg? Oleg, is that you?" and the like. He says some choice words to me including telling me the equivalent of the F word and something about my soul. Awesome. I then ignore him.

I go to Budapest. He continues to call. I never answer. It slows down. I return to Ukraine and like clockwork, he's at it again. He has literally called at least 75 times over the past 3 weeks. Earlier this week, he called maybe six tims and I told him three times to "get a life" only in English, as I don't know the Russian equivalent of this and also throw in a "you're sad" for good measure, again in English, and hang up on him.

Before I left for Budapest, I even sent him a text message (again in English) asking him to stop or I will call the militsia. I figure that "stop" and "militsia" he can figure out.

I think that it's a young teenager with obviously too much free time on his hands. He obviously knows by now he's calling someone who doesn't speak his language, thereforew a wrong number, but continues to call ad nauseum. It's ridiculous and very, very sad.

I wrongly assumed that this game would get old and die away, but three weeks already? Geesh dude. Get a life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page