Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Одесса Escape!

Over a month ago I got word that one of the first people I befriended back in Chicago would be heading for home permanently before the holidays. She made plans to come and see Odessa before she left and get together with a few friends. At first I didn't think I'd be able to make it, because of a student project on the same day, but I found other PCVs to babysit and made arrangements to leave.

I asked my clustermate to take a bus to my site (it would arrive early a.m.) and from there we would go in together to Odessa, after going to talk to a kindergraten class with my sitemate. My clustermate decided to come along, to watch us "in action" and I told her that it should be amusing since we all teach at universities and have little experience with young ones.

After answering about our families, our homes, sports, and the like she and I headed out for Odessa. We arrived in the afternoon and went over to check into the hotel--a swank place that she had booked as a treat for herself and the others. I did not plan on staying the night--but realized that I would only have little time to hang out and so thought if it was necessary, I would crash with them. It would cost an extra $50 to have me stay, as we found out by asking, so we did what any honest American would have done--we looked for a back entrance to sneak me in for the end of the night if I stayed.

We then went out to find a place to settle in for the night after our late lunch at the Irish pub. Using the Lonely Planet Ukraine we found a really cool and comfy (and not so expensive) place to drink, eat, and hang out.

We all had a fabulous time--the music at the place was really fun (a lot of oldies) but they had no dance floor but several of us made due without. AUkrainian sitting nearby noticed the dancing and came over and started attempting some old rock and roll moves as the rest of the restaurant watched clapping along to the music. My clustermate wanted to go out clubbing (which is a very rare occasion) but the rest of us were hesitant (I didn't want to spend the money for a cover and then the bottled water I need when I go to a club in order to dance, and the other two didn't want to pay the cover just to stand around--they don't dance). So we decided to end the night there at that bar and then go and hang out back at the hotel.

It was definitely one of the nicest weekends I've had here, being able to hang out with some good friends and just relax! My friend should be back in the States by now, readjusting to her new (or old?) life... I wish her the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page