Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Working Backwards

Some time ago D-Notice posted that I had been "memmed" again. This time around, I have to write 7 things that happened this year and pass the buck along. Because it's been over a month, I feel that it is unnecessary to make others review their past year, because the whole New Year's season is well over with. We are on to visions of spring.

But here we are:

1. I moved out. After 6 months in captivity, I was finally released into the wild. I have not looked back since.

2. The site mate shuffle. A wise site mate once told me that the whole dynamic changes every 6 months, and he was right. We already live an unsettled life, and that becomes even more uprooted and shifted because of the constant switch and change of the people that surround you. It keeps life interesting, but if you make good friends, as I feel that I did, it can make it difficult to adjust to not having them around. Send books.

3. Getting a tutor. Of the many things that I have done this past year, this is one of the ones I am most happy about. I don't know if my Russian is improving greatly, but at least I am taking corrective steps.

4. My brother got married. This is obviously more his milestone than my own, but it certainly was a highpoint of my past year--to be part of the of the wedding and the event. It is probably also the only time that I'll see all my family for another year.

5. Travel Opportunities. As many people know, I do love to travel, especially on the cheap, and living in this part of the world make that somewhat possible. At the end of the year I had visited over half of the oblasts of Ukraine and also got to go to Budapest.

6. My Job. Even though I am currently still waiting to receive my schedule, when I am working and working with students who find the work interesting (meaning, Interpretor and Translator students) I love my job, or more honestly, working with students who truly care about the work they are doing.

7. A Visitor came. While I do not typically like to post especially personal things about myself here, as I feel this is more of an outlet about "Life in Ukraine" rather than "Life in Molly's head," (because it's much more interesting) it was extremely important to me that someone come to Ukraine and experience what life is like here. He is the one that hears about everything the most and the most honestly. I was having doubts about whether or not I wanted anyone else to come here, afraid that they wouldn't like or appreciate my home. His successful trip here, bez problema made me realize that it can be an important experience for others to see what life is like in a developing nation and that they can appreciate the beauty that a place like Ukraine has to offer, especially long after the volunteer has forgotten about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page