Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Human Trafficking Lesson

I hate using the term "developing country," a more politically correct term for what was called "third world" when I was growing up. I typically envision some African country when I hear this word, the visual of which doesn't suit my current scenery. Plus I just feel odd about being an American and using the term to describe Ukraine. I hear Ukrainians use it from time to time and I cringe, not wanting to think (or have them think) that America is better. We have our problems too, I like to add, that good jobs are hard to find there too. That people live in poverty. That it's not perfect.

But when thinking about it, my mere presence here indicates that Ukraine is not like America. They don't send Peace Corps Volunteers to Japan or France, for example. Peace Corps exists to serve those countries in need that want and can use volunteers.

Because of this reality that I'd rather not face or think about, I typically steer clear of certain topics in conversation and in the classroom. I am extremely uncomfortable taking about things like pollution and the environment, for one, and taught a section on it only once because I hated feeling sanctimonious when talking about burning trash or the lack of public trash cans and how even scenic areas are littered with garbage. I become awkward, consciously trying to not come across as thinking that America is better, just merely different.

Last month, some PCVs in my oblast held a training for us to talk to people about the issue of human trafficking. I knew this existed here and was fillrf with trepidation whenever a student of mine talked about trying to find work abroad. As such, I decided that around Women's Day I'd broach this subject with one of my classes--a small group of all girls who I feel that I have the best repoire with. There is a PC affiated essay contest on the subject, so why not use that as a venue to talk about it?

So while still feeling awkward and overly sensitive, I told them how today we are deviating from our normal subject--American Studies--and how I felt it was important enough a topic to talk about. I asked if they knew about what human trafficking was and why it's important to talk about. About how working abroad can be a valuable experience (hence why I am in front of them) but you should be wise. I asked them if they ever thought about working abroad and all but one said yes. Using that as my motive, we talked about it and I drilled into them that is their responsibility to also educate their friends about this.

At the very end I wrote up on the board a local telephone number that they can call if they have questions about anything or to check out potential work abroad sites for crediblity. They all wrote it down. So at least that's something. Well, that and learning what a 'pimp' is.

I am slowly coming to realize that my own hesitations in talking about certain potentially controversial or uncomfortable topics is doing a disservice to my students. I just have to suck it up and learn that they'll perceive me as any way they want to, so I shouldn't be afraid to talk about things that really matter in this world, like their own health and safety. Next week I think that I'll do this lesson again to another younger group. It can't hurt, I've learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page