Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Emma

Before the holidays, before the visit, before my trip west, I was regularly attending my tutoring lessons.

Things were going so good that she decided to take me to a play. I had never been to the Russian Theater in N--, which from the outside is the most beautiful building in all of the city. It has obviously had a lot of work put into it to fix it up and retain its original beauty. I wonder if its location (directly across from the city's administration building) has anything to do with it?

I was pleasantly surprized that the inside was just as beautiful as the outisde. It was spotless and absolutely immaculate. I believe that this devotion to such a building demonstrates Ukraine's strong interest in the arts (the Ukrainian theater in another part of town is similarly beautiful).

The play was called "Emma" and based on Madame Bovary. Perhaps I understood a mere 20% of the dialouge, but the acting helped me to understand a greater portion of it.

I had a really great time and considering how inexpensive it is to got to the theater her, I'll probably be going back again when I have the chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page