Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

"Partyslava"

I'll be honest.

I didn't expect much from Bratislava.

When I arrived and looked around me I saw a confusing swell of big ugly block buildings (what? Am I in some ugly old suburb of Kyiv?), tram ways, trolley buses, and so on.

But it was the evening, and I had had a lot of help in carrying my huge bags around in a hurried manner.

When I woke up the next morning and headed out to view the center, I found a quite nice center. The old part of Bratislava is rather small, but well preserved and full of a lot of charm. I kept going straight to the castle, which is not as impressive as others that I have seen, and the National Slovak Museum which lies inside is also pretty sparse. After that I went to Primate's Palace specifically to see this Mirror Hall where Napoleon did something or other (I am awful at reading and remembering anything, I simply look at names, see if it might be pretty, and head on in) but it was closed for the morning--some city council session. The coat check woman told me come back at 14:00 and it would be open. But then it was 11:30 and I had exhausted pretty much everything I wanted to do in Bratislava. (I am learning that maybe sleeping in would not be such a crime...) So I went to eat their national dish that was recommended to me by PC staff. It is some dumplings with some strong melted cheese in the center and some bacon. Not bad. Really, really filling.

It was Thanksgiving, after all, so a glutton I needed to be, so after more meandering the streets I finished off with a feast at KFC, which really was the closest to a Thanksgiving meal I could get there.

The next day all the Christmas stalls in the main squares opened up and well, it was beginning to look like a lot like Christmas. It made me appreciate the city in a whole new way and really look forward to coming back earlier than I had anticipated before catching my flight to Dublin, just to taste Medovina (honey-spiced wine) and eat more good cheap food from the streets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page