Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What Would You Do?

So...

I currently have three jobs that do not allow me to make ends meet.

Despite this, I decided to pursue only positions that I believe will challenge and interest me. One of the jobs that I interviewed for does not necessarily meet those criteria. It is a entry level sort of position that would allow me the opportunity to get my feet wet and after a year or so, move onto something else. The university is a nationally recognized one and has a wonderful reputation. So it scores high on professional development. However, I am 99% positive that this is not the kind of job that I would wake up every morning and be excited about. Actually, I can guarentee that I would pretty much *never* feel this way about this job, although I don't think that I would loathe it, and again, it would provide professional development for transitioning into a different department at a university. I also don't know the pay.

They called today and left a message asking for a second interview to meet more people. My heart is telling me to just tell them no, but my head is thinking that this might be my only option...

I do not mind though working harder at the temp place, making arrangements for a longer position and/or investigating other opportunities for money that will secure me until I find SOMETHING THAT I LOVE.

I just wonder how smart all this is.

Advice, please? And can it come before say noon tomorrow?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Molly! Ok, I'm well before noon, so you should get this in time!! :-) I was just checking email/blogs before the kids get up and read your message. I read it to Ed before he left for work too, so you get two thoughts for the price of one!! Ed's first reaction, was - "go for the second interview." His reasoning was that it can't hurt to just find out more (i.e. PAY!) and you're not commiting yourself to anything yet (you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you - that was my thought :-) He also said that just because you take a job doesn't mean that you can't keep looking for another job - one that would be more personally fulfilling.

My thoughts are somewhat similar. Just remember you're not locking yourself into anything by going for a second interview. I would also ask - would this job have the potential to pave the way into a more exciting position. (i.e. is it the kind of thing where if you put in the grunt work for a year that they'd move you or promote you or whatever into more of what you're looking for?) If the job's really just a dead end for you in that way and you're content to keep temping and looking and considering other locations - follow your heart. You have the blessing right now of not being tied down to anybody or any place - take advantage of that! Live life!

I can only say that in my past experience, God has really blessed me by providing the perfect job for me, at the perfect time - even when I didn't even know what the perfect job for me was! I have wound up in a few different jobs that I look back on and think - how did I wind up here? But at the same time, it's a better job fit for me than I ever would have dreamed of - even though I didn't know that kind of job even existed before I took it. I will pray that God does the same thing for you - that you are directed to the right place at the right time, and are blessed beyond what you had hoped for. (I know faith is not your thing right now... but I'm still prayin' for ya!)
Love ya Molly!
(Give me a call if you want and let me know what you decide!)
Suzie :-)

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page