Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Getting Over It

I can't believe that I have been home for almost 8 months. Soon it will be a year. I have stopped saying things to new people about Peace Corps. If they ask what I did before I was here, I say that I was abroad, or that I taught, or something vague. This is mostly because I allowed myself some time to deal with the transition by being vocal about it, allowing the "this one time in Ukraine..." stories, or simply by making observations between here and there to people. But typically the responses, while polite, are a glazed kinda look like "here she goes again" and I realize that most people just can't relate to such an experience and most people don't want to. And that's fine. I just can't relate too much to them in return. Rightly or wrongly, I decided what the difference between "me" and "them" was just this experience, so when I meet new people, I omit the Peace Corps experience.

I wonder what other people have done in similiar situations? It was a very important part of my life and even after all these months later, I miss the experience every day, so I feel like I should be able to talk about it, but at the same time, I don't want to alienate people. Or more importantly, myself.

In all actuality, I think that I need to find more fulfilling work that will allow me to have that same sense of purpose, responsibility and challenge that I felt from living and working Ukraine. If you'd talked to me recently, then I've probably mentioned a position in Saudi Arabia. I'm not sure if I've gone off the dead end yet... But it may just be a matter of time! In the meantime, I'll be over in the corner, answering the phone like a robot. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Chandra said...

i think it's always hard to have such a life changing experience, and then not talk about it, and as we haven't officialy discussed it together, i hope we can soon!

that being said, it's part of who you are, and shapes everything you do. why not mention it to new people.

Kris's sister always talks about Nicaragua, and that's hard to hear ALL THE TIME, but only because she does with such a negative "now i have to be here with you losers" and it hurts. that's been my experience with it. but i know it makes her happy, and i know talking about it helps her miss it less.
embrace the new you, and talk about whatever you want! :)

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been there, Molly, except I was a LOT younger. I returned from a year in Ecuador in 1993. It defined me as a young adult. Going back almost every 18 months from 1993 to 2001 didn't help. I didn't stop regularly talking about it until a few years ago. There are so many emotions, positive and negative, and so many experiences which mesh with my continued speaking of the language and my love for people of latin origin. People DID get annoyed, and I think my family still does. I barraged them for YEARS with my stories. Now I wish I hadn't. But could I haven't? Not sure. It would have made for a very different Ed.

It may take years to establish yourself primarily as something other than a former PCV. A job with purpose will help, but it probably won't do the full job. Only time, maturity, and personal growth can redefine you.

Keep at it. You're not alone... and there are SOME people that haven't heard enough about your PCV-ing.

BTW-- Suadi Arabia?? Really? Are ya sure?

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me?!?! :-)

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page