Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Original Sex in the City

Well, I should be writing the fourth chapter of my thesis. And I have been. In short spurts. So inbetween spurts what have I been doing?

Watching a lot of Lifetime TV during the mornings before I get over to the lap top and look blankly at it and decide that the kitties want someone to play with them.

However, while I was watching one of my favorite programs--Golden Girls, I noticed a similarity to another show I love watching....

4 women, usually found talking about men, sex, and life around a table, with cheesecake and drinks.... There is a trampy one, a smart one, an smart ass one, and a naive one. Hmmm.

Well, it was bound to happen. I mean, here I am trying to get 1 project done, and of course what happens? I get momentarily more interested in another one.

Here is how I see it:
You subsitute NY for Miami, cheesecake for cosmos, and the women? As follows:

Rose is obviously Charlotte, we will all agree on that one. While Charlotte is not clueless, she's also not over 60. She has the same sweet naive charm and girl-next-door qualities.

Blanche is Samantha. They both talk nonstop about male conquests, are both vain, and have a fear of aging. They both believe a woman should be sexually liberated, and that there is power in the art of seduction. They also become the butt of jokes by the other women.

Now here is the tricky part...

Sophia is Miranda. They both have that caustic wit and a sense of bitterness about them.

That leaves-
Dorothy as Carrie. Don't believe me? Carrie is the narrator in SITC, she sets the scenes the action, the brains behind the operation so to speak, and also the character that we (the audience) is most supposed to identify with. I don't know about you, but when thinking about which Golden Girl I'd most like to be, I would certainly prefer to be Dorothy. She's the smart and sensible one. While she does not set the stage, she gets the best lines and is the one that all the other women count on. If you want to start cracking jokes about how Bea Arthur looks like a man, I ask you to close your eyes and picture Sarah J. in 40 years. As a friend of mine pointed out, she's not really beautiful, and so in a sense we, the average viewer, is supposed to identify more with her because of this. She is likeable.

At any rate, that is what I have been thinking about lately, instead of putting together all my interview material! This is a rough cut, but perhaps, somewhere in the Ukraine, this will be expanded upon and worked out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page