Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Murphy's Law

We all know it and we know it exists. Yesterday was the worst for me.

As you all know, I am working on my thesis, just with the conclusion to go. Well, I came back to the apartment yesterday and started writing and needed to check something out online and I was unable to connect to the internet. I went into the other room and saw that it was not a problem with Evil Empire Time Warner, which 99.9% of the time, it is. So then I started to panic, because if it was not them, it was my computer! Which is far far worse. I called Dell and spoke to this guy named "Peter" from New Delhi, India (not Indiana) and we tried all sorts of stuff, but it just would not work. He (after an hour) told me that it had to do with my operating system and that I'd have to reboot (or whatever other technical term it was) the whole operating system, losing everything that I have saved on my computer. Uh, no thanks, as I am in the middle of writing my thesis here, dude! So at any rate, I was horribly depressed thinking that my computer was broken, and upset that I would have to go out and buy a diskie thing, since I save all my work on an e-mail account, so I can download it to any computer with internet access instead of relying on a disk. But I have obviously not won, I will go out and do this today.

Later in the evening I tried to plug in my only phone, a cell phone, to recharge it for the evening and for the life of me it would not recharge. The battery was low and I was risking some major problems. Seeing as how I replaced the phone charger about six months ago or so, I thought, well, this is it, this time it is the phone and I'm going to have to buy a new one, even though I only plan on having it until I leave in October. Ugh.

So, all this is happening on top of my being supremely behind schedule with my thesis--it's all due on Monday and I wanted to redo the intro and write the conclusion. So far nothing has really been done on either front, and it's Saturday morning. They did move my defense back a day, so I may likewise ask for an extension. Anyway, all of this is happening at the same time as some more tooth trauma, so I will be going to the dentist again on Monday.

All I see, of course, are dollar signs and more dollar signs, as all of this is going to cost money and I am no longer taking in any pay checks and do not have plans to even look for employment until the thesis is taken care of. Oh, it just all makes me sick thinking about it.

Fortunately, I went to Alltel today and they said that it was the charger, not the phone, and I bought a new one. The phone still seems to be having trouble, but I'll give it a few days and if it still is acting up I'll go back and see what I can do. I can only get a free phone if I sign up for two more years of service, and uh, I don't think that they service Ukraine. I do love my phone company though, which is a first. I will be sad to say goodbye to them.

Then I came back to the apartment and thought "well, I may as well try the internet again before I go and buy some zip disks" and sure enough, currently, it is working. I don't know what is up and will still go ahead with some backup plans, but this is good news for now.

On top of all of that, my tooth does not seem to be bothering me as much, but I think that I should still go and check it out. Everyone always tells these stories about when they told the dentist that they were going into the Peace Corps they didn't charge them, blah blah blah, well, that is certainly not the case with my dentists. Not that I don't understand that people should be paid for the services rendered, but c'mon dude, charity! Charity!

So wish me luck on today's work, I have a lot to do, but must run some errands first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page