Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Yard Sale

So, today I learned a lot about Bowling Green. And I got rid of a lot of stuff, which is nice. I met my goal, of making $100, and exceeded it a bit. The sun is finally setting and turning the sky a beautiful rosy, orange, and purple that is to die for.

But back to the yard sale---what exactly did I learn? All sorts of cultural stuff. I already knew that there were people who yard sale professionally, who cruise the papers and go all over towns looking for the best deals, either for resale, or for...well, I don't know what? But there were also some folks that I was unaware of. Apparently Bowling Green has a Chinese population, and while I may be generalizing here, they are always looking for a deal, and if you don't give them a deal, they won't buy. Super friendly, chatting to each other a mile a minute, and then look up at me and say "I pay x!" when x is a lot less than what is marked. Lower in some cases than I was willing to go. So, in one case, when I was swarmed with a group of five youngsters, I was able to cut a deal. They wanted some furniture and I wanted it gone, so great, it worked. The second time I had already reduced some stuff, and again, about 5 or so, friendly, but pointed out the hole in one of my lampshades and was like "there is a hole, I pay $2!" Yeah, but the base is crystal, and I marked it at $4, and I'll give it to you for $3. I'm just not impressed. You can replace lampshades. It's a nice lamp. Maybe it's me who has the problem with realizing the little value my belongings have to others. Like I need to dazzle them with my wares or something. I don't know.

The other observation came earlier in the morning when I was selling an item that three people (in two different cars) commented on. I was selling it for $5. They both went back to their cars. Little did I know that they were both getting the money. The woman who approached me asked if I'd take $4 for it. Sure! I thought, because that is one less thing I'll have to carry back up the stairs at night, right? So she repeatedly says "bless your heart" and happily takes her new treasure. Immediately after the women from the second car come and they have the $5 in their hand, but it's too late, and I lost a buck. But I wasn't upset, because she acted like I did her a real favor or something. That's the way to work it I guess.

So, in another hour, a couple arrives and they look around and on occassion I would tell people the deal: I'm leaving the country, joining the Peace Corps, going to Ukraine, yadda, yadda, yadda. These are one of those people. They don't buy anything but the dude talks to me about Belorus and how awesome it supposedly is. "Yeah, right" I think. You've got to be kidding me. But apparently he knows or something. He's never been but knows someone, and anyone who's anyone goes there and makes money or something. I know what you are thinking, but no, I don't ask questions about what the f*ck he's talking about. I don't want to know. They get back in the car eventually and turn around. They take awhile. He gets out of the car and gives me $5 and tells me to keep it, that I'll need it where I am going. (Could he mean hell?) Who am I to argue?

So, really I learned today that it is all about karma, I guess. That giving one person a deal, means that somehow you will be repaid for your generiousity. Or that there are some strange folk up in here. You be the judge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page