Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Food, Glorious Food!

Today was the West Chester restaurant festival, which had tons of food from tons of restaurants in West Chester. Unfortunately, I only had one crab cake although there were many there. *Sigh*

It was cool though, as there were hoardes of people and crafts and booths and music and food, so honestly, what more could anyone ask for?

When we got back home, I put some of the things we brought home in the fridge until dinner time and later, when I went to get a Coke, I ended up spilling what I wanted the most all over the kitchen floor and the fridge. It was asparagus and crab soup. After a huge puddle had collected on the kitchen floor, I dipped my finger tip in it and sampled what was to be my dinner. It was delicious and made me briefly wonder how santitary it would be to get a straw and just suck it up from off the floor. I eventually decided against that and just cleaned the whole mess up and was thankful that I still had a couple little chicken quesadilas with blueberry chutney left. Oh, the tradegy of it all.

In other news, it seems that I might be able to meet up with some fellow Ukrainian Peace Corps folks from the local area. This would be great and hopefully give me that kick in the pants I've been needing. I am still having so many doubts about this--not about my decision as much about my capabilities. English is barely my first language... How can I teach this to University students? And of course the Ukrainian language is no picnic to learn, despite it being so interesting and beautiful.

For example, did you know that the months in Ukrainian do not follow the Latin names that so many other countries have? They take on a literal meaning according to what happens in nature during that month. I was born during Lystopad, which means falling leaves (November). Pretty nifty, huh? My mother was not impressed with her month, Hruden, which means balls, for snow falls (December), but whatever. I think it's pretty cool.

I am also freaking out about the amount of time that I have left, which is basically not a lot, and how little preparation stuff I have done. That is why I moved up my date to leave work, so I could spend this coming week handling student loans, that AmeriCorps ed award stuff, packing details, and cleaning for guests. So many people have started making the rounds and saying goodbye to folk, and I feel like I am so very behind, as I tend to deny these sorts of events or really attribute much sentimentality to them. It's too sad to do that. And I've said goodbye so many times.

So perhaps I should use this evening to do more reading about Ukraine, as I still have another travel guide to get through and stacks of books just collecting dust.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page