Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

I've Got No Skills

Language skills, that is.

Many many weeks ago (actually months, now that I think about it) I received the Peace Corps disk that includes all sorts of info that will be helpful to me, including language lessons. The request was to study this disk for at least an hour each day. Ha. At the time I was speedily writing my thesis and trying to get all of that done, but I had plans to dive right in when I had the time. Unfortunately, when I had the time, I thought that reruns of the Golden Girls and The Nanny were more important. Afterall, I told myself, I did just finish one monster of a thesis, and I deserved it.

Well, I did myself no favors.

When I finally did get around to it, I realized that my disk did not work the way that I wanted it to (where I could see and hear the new words at the same time). I asked someone to make me a new disk, thinking that there was something wrong with the first one, but actually no, my computer just needed to be updated. I asked a friend how I can do this, but it seems that I am still unable to do it, and I have less than a month before departure.

Craziness. I know only two or three words in Ukrainian, forget about sentences or phrases or anything. I am a huge loser and failure on this count and with working now, I am not exactly looking forward to coming home and trying to learn the language, but I'm going to suck it up. If I want to be effective, if I want to communicate, I will have to make the time and just do it.

Tomorrow my mother and I are off to the big city (NYC) to take in a museum for the day. Hopefully we will be met by my lovely friend who can graciously assist us in that huge place. The subway in that city has never really made much sense to me, and I'm not a particularly patient person. And my mother is even less so, sadly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page