Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Wow

So, like everyone else in the blogosphere, I have been watching on the news the destruction that Katrina has left behind.

For the first time since I don't remember, I sat in front of the TV tonight, with a plate of hot food, and wept because I felt so helpless. I looked at my food and just felt sick. Babies dying from dehydration and old people too. It's just so awful. I wish that I had done something useful in school like nursing, because then I'd have a reason to go down there and actually do something. Or perhaps even made the kind of money that would be more than a drop in the bucket. I am also tempted for the first time in like forever to donate blood. As some of you know, the last time I did that it messed me up for weeks afterwards including passing out on the T (God, that was embarrassing and totally ruined my night seeing the Kids in the Hall), but that's just a measure of how moved I am... Of really how all of us are moved. Well, maybe not all, as it seems that many folks are pointing fingers to the slow moving reactions from America and the government. This will take longer to figure out and it's just reactionary to place the blame on someone, but it is hard for me to not see who is sitting in the superdome (poor blacks) and make the unfortunate assumption that most people just don't care.

Actually, this is the same response I had and felt when I watched that Don Cheadle movie Hotel Rwanda as the Nick Nolte UN guard told Don that Americans just didn't care about what happened to Africans. It made my stomach turn. Why? Because unfortunately it's true.

Those who know me and dislike my politics may see my response as being purely reactionary. That not everything is based on race, gender, or class. But I humbly disagree. I also think that the Pres. should not stop when he flies over tomorrow. He might get himself shot. People are pissed. I just wish that when people in America get angry about such things that political action takes place. It's just so slow.

Like everyone else, my thoughts are with those people, and I am wishing that I could do something to help out, as I feel my money is too little, but at least it is something, I suppose.

The best thing that I did hear though from a public official was from either the head of Homeland Security or the Attorney General (sorry I can't remember, they went one right after the other on CSPAN) but they said that "reconstruction" will take place. Reconstruction, huh? That's every Southerners favorite word, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page