Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Kyiv

On Sunday our group went to Kyiv for the day. The city was much more beautiful than I had antipicated. It certainly could give St. Petersburg a run for it's money in my book.

Not having been to other European cities (Copenhagan is the only continential city that I've been to) I have nothing to really compare it to, but it felt European in a sense. The buildings were beautiful and I was in love with every street we saw and every monument we passed. I would love to get a chance to see this city more and spend more time there. As it was we walked around a bit and then took off for the zoo.

And also like St. Petersburg and Moscow, those subways kicked some serious American asses. I don't know why we as Americans can't seem to get our act together when it comes to public transportation. It was clean, fast, and cheap! Each trip costs 50 kopeks to ride (5 hyr. are a dollar, the kopeks are the change). We didn't wait longer than one minute for a ride and get this: they had tv's in each car. Not only for advertising purposes but also to announce the next stop and what stop it was. Freaking amazing if you ask me. Take that NYC!

One of the our group members has spent a lot of time in Eastern Europe and has been to Kyiv before. She mentioned that the last time she was here (2002) there were communist symbols everywhere. Now they all seem to be gone, which to me was another indication of how much further Ukraine has come compared to Russia in regards to democracy and trying to Westernize. I am curious as to how much of that transformation has to do with Yuveshcenko. We also got to see some of the places where the Orange Revolution took place, which was just amazing to think about... All the thousands of Ukrainians camped out on the streets of Kyiv in the middle of the winter in order to protest a fraudalent election. I wonder sometimes if Americans have that much passion about them anymore when it comes to politics...

Kyiv was quite the experience and I can't wait to go back and get to know her better!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Molly. I am loving your posts. You certainly sound like you are having the adventure of a lifetime, although it may not seem it in the moment. Those more "annoying" things are what I remember most about my experiences in underdeveloped areas. They are what really contributed to the person I became (for better or for worse.) I'm so glad that you have had the chance to see Kyiv and have enjoyed it. I am jealous of your experiences already, and can't wait to read the next installment.

Cora is getting bigger by the day. She's cutting her first two teeth and is literally following Susan around the house. She'll be walking sooner than we expect (and sooner than we'd prefer as well :-P)

Sorry that you and Nate didn't have the chance to meet up. He had a great time working at an orphanage and is now on his way across Russia (Trans-Siberian Railway) enroute to Japan.

Take care.
Ed (for Susan and Cora too!)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

... but you've been to York. That's a European city!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Hey Molly! I did send you something. But apparently not in time to make it before you to Kyiv. So you'll just have to go back... :)

4:34 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

also - what do you want in your packages besides peanut butter and tea? I know how good packages can be very country specific - let us know what you CAN'T get in the ukraine, so we're not all sending you stuff that's cheap and easy to find there :)

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh. England isnt Europe. Its an Island.
You have more positive things to say about the Ukraine than the only other person i ever met who had been there. Is it true they all hate Russians a lot?
You have to take a trip to the Crimea and visit all the old battlefields that no-one cares about anymore, then tell me what it was like.
Hope everything is gan good.
-eoin

8:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Eoin: England is in Europe - I should know I live there...

Fair enough, it's not on the mainland, but it IS in Europe.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, that's like saying hawaii isn't part of the U.S.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Boys. Eoin is also English--from your neck of the woods Gareth, so I suppose that is reason enough to be bitter.

But I suppose I should have been more specific, I meant *continential* Europe.

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page