Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Answers to your Most Burning Questions

Okay. Not quite.

It has become somewhat apparent to me though that I have not done a good enough job describing the training that we have all endured for these past few months. No, it hasn't been all drinking vodka, eating borsh, and goofing off. It's been a ton of work.

In the beginning, before we started our internship at the Pedagogical College, we had language classes for something like eight hours a day. This happened five days a week, in addition to various other smaller things that they wanted us to do. Saturdays have always been our Tech training days, and it wasn't until nearly the end that we found out that out of over 110 people, our tech sessions last the longest 1) because we are so far away from our link group that takes over an hour to get too, 2) because we ask questions and generally take it seriously, and 3) we all like each other and get on. So, that basically took up all day on Saturday. On Sunday, our free day, we generally would have some sort of planned excursion with our host families, which in a lot of ways I was really appreciative of. In retrospect, there might have only been one Sunday where I was able to sleep in and just relax for the entire day. Just once in three months.

After the working at the Pedagogical College started, free time decreased even more. While I was going through it, I never thought of it as all that stressful, since we still had time to do things like go out after lesson and have some tea at a cafe. But what I always forget is that I then didn't get home until after 10 or 11 at night.

It's been busy, and it has been fun, but it's mostly been a lot of work, and for what results I have yet to see. My Russian I know has improved. Not the leaps and bounds that I wanted it to, and I still can't really get on by myself anywhere, but I understand more, if not able to talk more. This will be a continuing process, though, I know.

The programming has helped me see teaching in new ways, and I am really looking forward to putting together my own courses once I get to site, even though I know that that within itself will be a great challenge, and one that you can all help out with by sending me American magazines of all kinds, or even burnt cds of current tv shows, etc. I know that a lot of people have been asking what, and it seems that those may be the kinds of things that are inexpensive to send and can really help my future university students learn something about American culture.

Having your every moment accounted for, be it in the classroom, or working, or even just being at home has really taken a toll---while I miss my teachers, my host family, and of course my cluster and link, I am really looking forward to site and making it home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page