Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Monday, December 05, 2005

You've Got Scabies

A few days after I returned from my site visiting and following training session outside of Kyiv, I noticed one evening, after having dinner, that the palm of my right hand was itching profusely. And that it was red. And upon closer inspection, it had little bumps all over it.

This obviously freaked me out, but I knew that I'd be going to "emotional health day" the next day (hey, I don't name these things or plan them, I simply attend and try to get the most out of them), and if it was still going on, I'd just simply as the Peace Corps doctors.

So when it was my turn to get more shots, I told Dr. Sasha about my hand and how it itched. He looked at them and said, "well, maybe you have a topical infection, a fungus, or scabies." "Scabies!?" I said!!! "Yes, scabies."

He then asked me if my house had any small children, and my thoughts went immediately to that little diseased and dirty five year old that lives in my home. The little thing that never washes his hands, picks up food and then puts it back, drinks right out of the carton, and always gives me food (with said unwashed hands) and expectently looks at me to eat it.

"Yes" I said.

The doctor then asked if we had any animals at home or if I had pet any lately. I replied no. For there are many a dog and pretty kitty in this fair land, but I sure as heck am not going to get tapeworm from them. But at the time I also saw little difference in the doctors question between a child and an animal.

He gave me some sort of fungal cream and told me to use it twice a day and that he'd call me to check up on my later.

I of course, didn't want to tell anyone about my condition, and as a result, told everyone that I had scabies. I just can't keep that kind of thing to myself for goodness sake. It's funny. The prospect of having such an infliction was humorous as well as horrible, so I had to let others know.

He called on Thanksgiving day, and thankfully, the itching had stopped and in fact I did not have scabies. But I didn't think that I could have. But it was still amusing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had scabies once. From a cat, I think, rather than a dirty five year old. It was a huge pain in the everywhere. I had to smear myself with poison in a tube and leave it on for ages. Bleh.
So what was the itchy hand if it wasnt burrowing freinds?
-eoin

10:59 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I actually don't know. But when stuff like that stops, you don't bother to question why.

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page