Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

St. Pat's In Ukraine

Early in the day, I got a text message from a volunteer in town suggesting to meet up at a bar/cafe for a beer after he was done with work.

I agreed, and when we met , I decided that I too would partake in some vodka and juice, because afterall, it was St. Patrick's Day, and there was no Guiness for miles (or should I say kilometers?).

So, starting the night of right, he asked if I wanted to continue the evening doing karaoke. You know he didn't have to ask me twice. He then inquired to our waitress where we could go, but alas, she did not know. She asked the woman behind the bar who promptly was at our side with a piece of paper in hand. She gave us the address, told us the stop, and away we went.

While the selection was scant and the charge per song was a bit pricey ($1), we sang every song together, putting as much soul as we could into every rendition. Be it "Annie's Song," "Hey Jude," or "How Deep is your Love." While by most patrons (and the karaoke Queen) we were merely tolerated, several Ukrainian men appreciated our stylings as they bounced their head and mouthed the words to "Yellow Submarine" or "Let It Be." One man even bought us both a beer, which we then felt obligated to drink.

The next mroning we reminisced about all the tunes we belted and figured that we must have sung at least 13 songs and had quite a fantastic time. An interesting way to spent St. Pat's Day none the less.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That does sound like a pretty cool St Paddys day. I miss karaoke. I havnt been in too long (for info on the scary last time, see Cassies blog).
So you have found a place in the world where guinness is not avalable. You should write to the brewery and tell them so they can get on that right away.
-e

8:21 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

Guinness can be found in Kyiv and other major cities. I'm sure that Odessa has a place where it is served (cuz there has got to be ex pats here) and actually, I am sure that if I looked here in N-- I could find it, but I never bothered. It's expensive as all get out.

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would imagine- its expensive enough in the states!
I read in a book today that exile Irihs monks travelled as far as Kyiv in the seventh century to set up monastries.
-e

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page