Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Can You Believe This?

So unbeknownst to me when I was away they didn't have any classes at the univesrity becuase there are so many holidays so close together (Labor Day and Victory Day) so , they decided to make up Wednesdays classes on Saturday. Can you imagine that? I found out about this on Friday afternoon and was already out for the evening. So I did not end up having time to do any lesson planning for my two course that I teach on Wednesday.

Call me crazy, but if you have a holiday or vacation in school, you do not make up the classes over the weekend, you don't make up classes at all, because it was a holiday, a not work day or a punishable not work day.

Needless to say, it was not my best class on saturday as I had made plans to see a friend from out of town and these classes were interfering with it so I cut my 160 minute course short about 70 minutes and tried to leave unnoticed, but as it was the head of the departments birthday, I got flack from my coordinator for not staying to celebrate. True, i too felt like crap, but that is also par through the course here. The American never learns about any of these things till last minute, so i never have cards or flowers or chocolates to give and probably no not seem like much of a team player. *Sigh*. Again, this may also be a symptom of me not being particularly proactive in finding this information out, so the communication issue continues.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its actually so the profs dont have to spend time re-jigging their syllabuses to account for what was missed. The idea that you might just be able to cut holes in one and have it still work holistically is anathema to them. As is extra work.
Have you been following the Eurovision? Ukraine is through to the final 20!
-e

8:20 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

Syllabi? Ha. I laugh at you. They do no such thing.

I just found out about Eurovision today. We won last year!!!! Go Ruslana! And this year I hear that it looks good too.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im fairly sure that Greece won last year- this years is being held in Greece, and the winner has always historically hosted next years. Maybe they changed the rules.
I notice that where once there was a single entrant for Yugoslavia, now there are four (five?) entrants including, Croatia, Slovenia, and Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia (I believe that is a temporary title till they think of something better). Bloody East Europeans- is it too far fetched to blame the breakup of the former Soviet bloc on a desire to cheat at Eurovision?
Also, Finland entered some kind of death metal group with rubber face masks and spark-shooting guitars. Beat that, Ireland!
-e

10:13 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

My students told me that Greece won last year and here all this time I thought that song (you're number one, you're my number one, you're my heart's desire...blah blah blah) was a Shakira song. Huh. Ruslana was TWO years ago. Oops. My bad.

They also told me that Finland won and they are really disgusted. But Helsinki is a cool ass town.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page