Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Away Again

Of course my digital camera decides to die when I am about to go on another adventure. It has been about 4 days since it's great soakage, being caught in my bookbag in the rain and the zoom is still not working. I have not had time to take it into a shop to repair it (along with my slowly dying watch that probably needs a new battery) so it looks like I'll have to take the tired and trusty other camera which has decided since Moscow to only take photos during the day.

So this evening I am off to Kyiv for a meeting (I will be accompanied by my sitemate, although I don't think that we will be in the same train wagon). After that meeting, I will take off from Kyiv at night to head to Western Ukraine--Lviv.

I am as excited to see Lviv as I was to see Yalta. Another place famously bragged about the world over. Lviv, and well, Western Ukraine, has more Polish/Austria-Hungarian roots. This is evidenced in architecture, design, attitude, and most notably, language. I am expecting my nice "please" and "thank you"'s in Russian will not be well received, from what I've heard from others. We will see. I am going to meet up with a Linkmate for the weekend, who lives out west but has yet to visit Lviv. Should be fun.

When I told my coordinator that I was going to Lviv he proclaimed, "Oh Lviv! I hate it!" "Why!," I inquired. "It has old buildings, it's European, old-fashioned, has cobble stone streets that" and he made a zig zagging motion with his hands. "Well, I think that sounds beautiful. It will be exactly what I love." "Well, you'll like it then. But the food!," (he raised his hand to his mouth and made a kissing sound). Sounds like everyone can find something great about Lviv.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should learn a couple words in Polish- that should go down a bit better in Lvoof.


YES = TAK tahk

NO = NIE nyeh

PLEASE = PROSZ¸E prosheh

DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH? = CZY MÓWI PAN[I] PO-ANGIELSKU? chi moovee pahn[yee] po ahngyehlskoo

THANK YOU = DZI¸EKUJ¸E dzhenykooyeh

GOOD MORNING = DZIEN´ DOBRY dzhehny dobri

GOOD AFTERNOON = DZIEN´ DOBRY dzhehny dobri

GOOD NIGHT = DOBRANOC dobrahnots

GOOD-BYE = DO WIDZENIA do veedzehnyah

-e

8:02 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

yes and no are the same in Ukrainian, as I think please too. Good morning and afternoon are similar, but I know the Ukrainian varients of all of those, but used my Russian all the same. I left most of the talking up to my linkmate.

3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page