Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Львов

Sorry. Where I currently sit I do not have access to a Ukrainian keyboard, so it shall be entitled the Russian "Lvov" instead of the Ukrainian "Lviv."

This past weekend I was not in Ukraine. As a matter of fact, I have no idea where I was. Some would say Ukraine, others Poland, and even a few would say Austria-Hungary. I say I was enchanted. taht after my linkmate and I got alighted from tram that took us from the train station to the center we were in a fairy tale town, complete with a magical language that I could not comprehend.

Everywhere we turned (well, except for our hotel) were beautiful buildings with goregious facades. No signs of the typical Soviet buildings (well, except for our hotel) that can be found the world over in any former Communist town or city. Cobblestone streets that meandered this way and that. Clean beautiful streets with flowering hanging baskets on old lamp posts. Flower beds by monuments and statues. Horse drawn carriages. One street more beautiful than the last. Quite sipmly, this place had the works.

On our first day we grabbed something to eat on a street cafe watching the crowds go by and just sinking in the vibe of the city. What luck, we both thought and said over and over again. The place was charming and relatively inexpensive--and this coming from a Peace Corps Volunteer! After that we found City Hall to climb of the top of the tower for a beautiful city view. It was perfect weather, especially after the so-so week in Crimea and then the few days backin N--. From the top we saw a few places to explore and enjoyed our positions of being tourists for a change. We took many photos (I without my digital) and just talked about the good fortune of those who can call Lviv home. Using our Lonely Planet guide, we settled in for the evening at a restaurant to watch the World Cup US vs. Italy match (which we tied, by the way).

The next day we met up with another PCV who lives locally and his friend visiting him from the States. He took us to the famous cemetary which was quite a moving experience. Many soliders from WWI now call this place home, along with Ivan Franko, a famous Ukrainian author and poet. Surprisingly here we ran into someone from the PC office and later four other volunteers out touring as well. It seems this place is very popular. We walked around more and just admired the beautiful and fair city.

I couldn't help but think, wandering the streets with my linkmate, "next time.... next time..." because I know there will another visit to Lviv for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page