Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Language

Today I leave for the Peace Corps language refresher, which this time will be held in the Kharkivska oblast. Never been east, so I'm excited to see what life is like over there.

On the subject of language, my own has been rapidly decreasing since training. People talk to me and I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about even though I know that somewhere I learned these words. Simple stuf I'm talking about too.

I have recently been witnessing how well people can speak if they apply themselves, which I haven't been doing. I have a bad tendency to simply drop something that I know I can not master. It's hard for me to be motivated about learning something that I'll never really be able to grasp. I got accused of laziness by a few teachers in high school and college as a result of this. Is it really laziness? No. It's a defeatist attitude. I am hoping to change this about myself here, as there can be no greater motivation than actually understanding what people tell me and how I communicate, especially in times of need.

Besides, I'm tired of depending upon others to translate for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page