Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Two Dollars A Day

Just this morning I started thinking what exactly can $2 get me in Ukraine, and can I actually live on just that sum alone? If I ate nothing but potatoes, carrots, and onions, sure--and some days I do, but if I want a varied diet, it just won't go that far. But here is a small list of what $2 a(or 10 grivenya-UAH) will buy you:

1) 10 marshrutka rides in my city
(I typically take this form of transportation at least once a day--with evening clubs and tutoring, it can be as high as 3 to 5 times a day)

2) A litle less than 1 kilo of chicken breasts (1 kilo = 2.2 pounds)

3) 5 kilos of potatoes

4) 40 xerox copies for my students

5) 2 and a half hours of internet time

6) 2 envelopes and stamps to the US (with some change left over)

7) A cheeseburger McMenu at McDonalds (although I might have to throw in a bit extra)

8) 3 half liters of beer

9) 400 grams of cheese

10) 6 loaves of white bread

11) 1 ride by marshrutka to the next nearest volunteers in my area (9 UAH)

12) 1 train ticket to my closest clustermate (although the price has probably increased since the last time I went there)

13) sheets for the overnight train to Kyiv (9 UAH)

14) 3 liters of water (with some change left over)

15) 27 eggs

While this list is short, it may help to provide you an idea of how much things cost here.

1 Comments:

Blogger HouseRunner said...

27 eggs.... wow.. life is good.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page