Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Uncomfortable Train Ride #78, Brasov to Sighisoara, Romania

In an attempt to be culturally sensitive I have often kept some of the more awful moments of my PC service to myself-or to private conversations. As I am not a PCV serving in Romania, I don't feel the same obligation and as I am not a PCV anymore you can look forward to other such similar stories from Ukraine.

Not speaking a lick of the language has been very personally frustrating for me in Romania and was exacerbated by this particular experience. When I got on and found my seat, my compartment mate immediately attempted to strike up conversation. When I let him know that I understood nothing he communicated by winking constantly at me with a big toothless grin. He could have been 35-42 years old, it's hard to say. Several other older men joined us. After 1 departed this man proceeded to get my attention by whistling, making clicking sounds and using hand signals. When I would look over he'd wink and make a head motion indicating that we should leave the compartment. As often happened when I am uncomfortable, I smiled embarrassingly back at him.

This continued for a while and he further made motions that he and I should leave together and puckered his lips in a kissing form. He pointed to the old man next to him and indicated that we shouldn't tell him. I shook my head "no" and ignored him. When the old man went to the toilet he then repeated this. Frustrated and honestly scared, I told him sternly in Russian (because Russian sounds more harsh than English) "I don't understand. Enough." He sorta stopped, but the effect this had on me really affected me. By not knowing the simple basics of the language I felt pretty helpless. I couldn't explain to the old man what was happening--all I could do was look angry and say "nyet" to him in front of the old man.

I guess he felt inclined to behave in this way because he knew in a way that he could take advantage of the fact that I had no way of reprimanding him publicly. Or maybe he was just, well, insane?

Thankfully Sighisoara was a beautiful town and I was able to enjoy myself in the old part of town. But Idid book myself a first class ticket on the late night train back to Bucharest oping for better compartment mates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page