Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Glad I Went

So, thank you Sue, Ed, and Christa for telling me to go.

It is back in the running and now ahead of the other place I will have a second interview later this week.

And then there is one other second interview at the end of NEXT week. The trick is to make sure that no one gives me an offer before the beginning of the second week of March, when I might have a more accurate picture of what is going to happen.

I am happy to apparently have options (although who knows if any of them will actually HIRE me) but also confused as to how to proceed. I've never really had to make a decision like this before that would bind me in a way that I might grow to resent later.

So, when choosing a job do you:
1) just go for the one that offers the most money
2) where you would feel the most comfortable
3) where you would have the opportunity to grow the most professionally
4) best benefits/vacation/work hours
5) where you could have the highest position (say a Director instead of a Assistant Director)
6) any combo of those?

Tell me what you think...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we're glad to be of service, Molly. In my experience, there is not one thing that makes the decision really easy... unless the pay is like $20K more than you would expect. Forget about titles. That's all they are. If you go for a director position, is there any real growth potential? (rhetorical ?) The right balance of the what of the job, the flexibility in scheduling it gives you, the $$$, distance from where you are, relevance to what you really want to do eventually, the right working environment AND the amount of vacation all plays a part. For me, $$$ and vacation is what it's all about. Know also that you can negotiate benefits like vacation and salary. If you think you want 4 weeks of vacation, and they're only offering 3, then puch back. Or you could ask for more $ and vacation, and then back down on the vacation if they'll only willing to give you more $$.

At the end of the day, establish your minimum requirements for a job. As long as they are realistic, stick to 'em and don't be afraid to forego one if there's a reasonable expectation that you'll have other, better offers.

My 2 cents.
--Ed

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Molly!!

Long time, no update! You're keeping me in suspense here. :-) How is the job hunt going? Have you figured out any better what your priorities are? That's my 2 cents, by the way - take that list and order them by priority for YOU and go from there. I also think that enjoying your job should be pretty high on the list... if you had a family to support, that might be different, but since you are just supporting you right now, I say better to accept a job that pays less, but you get excited about and feel good about rather than a job that pays really well, but doesn't get you out of bed with a smile in the morning. Know what I mean? Life is short - money is worthless if you're not happy and it can take a relatively small amout of money to be filled to overflowing with blessings. Hope things are going well. And hope to hear from you soon!
(P.S. today is Cora's birthday!! I'm the mommy to a THREE year old!!! Ahhhhh!!!!) :-)
Sue

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page