Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

10 Things I like about Ohio

I will be leaving this state in a little over a month and as soon as the thesis is turned in it will be time to enjoy the Buckeye State and the surrounding areas. To help get things started I came up with a list of things that I actually like about Ohio:

10) Service with a smile. Something to be said about Midwest hospitality, I have yet to have a rude server anywhere out here.
9) Politeness. I think that most kids can't graduate until they have had some sort of manners class. Kids won't even walk into a classroom until all the other students and professor have left, even if this means the entire class waiting out in the hallway 5 minutes into their classtime.
8) Everyone is from Ohio. Coming from one of the original 13 colonies, and let's face it, next to Boston, Philadelphia is the birthplace of freedom--so it's hard to forget that other parts of the country have unique histories too. Ohio is the birthplace of flight, the mother of invention, and home to as many US Presidents as Virginia (they both claim one of the Harrison's), and also many authors. Ohio also bore Clark Gable, need I say more?
7) There are more rainbows visible. This used to be my favorite thing, but I haven't seen any rainbows in over a year. I don't know what is up with that.
6) You can drive fast. While the speedlimit is 65 throughout the state, living in Northwest Ohio means being close to Michigan, where the speed limit is 70 and everyone drives like a maniac. I'm not saying that Michigan drivers are bad, but hey, they can give a Masshole a run for his money anyday. Also, because of number 4 on the list, you can drive a lot faster and smoother. Heck, I usally sleep from Detriot to Toledo, just lock the steering wheel, put on the cruise control and you'll be fine.
5) Ohio is the only state that I have lived in that has sent me a refund check on my taxes.
4) The landscape. There is something beautiful about farmlands and seeing the traffic patterns miles away on either your left or right side.
3) Cleveland Rocks. Cleveland Rocks. Cleveland Rocks. Ohio.
2) It stays lighter later. I love that it's still daylight in the summer till after 9pm. Not as great as Russia's White Nights, but hey, I'll take it.
1) The night sky. It is just enormous. I have never been able to see so many stars in the sky at night. Earlier this year there was a solistice of some sort where the moon turned blood red. I could see the whole thing unfold from my back "porch" and I knew that if I still lived in Boston, I'd have no way of seeing it.

There are other things that I like about this place, but hey, I had to draw the line somewhere. This will inevitably be followed up with the 10 Things I dislike about Ohio too, but today, the glass is half full people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page