Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

"Not a Train Wreck"

This is what my reader referred to my thesis as. "Not a train wreck." When I told the Director of my program this comment later in the afternoon he laughed and said, "that's reassuring, it's like saying it could be a car wreck, or a motorcycle running into the back of a truck, but not a train wreck." Thanks Doc. That sure makes a gal feel better too.

The reader did provide me with some books to look at and indicated that my grammar sucked (tell me something that I don't know) and sent me on my not so merry way. It'll be two hours of complete humiliation, but as soon as I get the John Hancock's on there, well, I'll be happy. And dancing. And drinking. And still revising.

Oh, I could just cry!

8 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

are you on my committee?

5:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What do you mean by "John Hancock's"?

Nice to know you're nearly finished

4:47 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

"John Hancock" is an American slang for "signature." You'll hear us say things like "I need your John Hancock here" "put your John Hancock by the X." If you ever get a chance to see a copy of our Constitution, you'll notice that John Hancock's signature is HUGE compared to the rest of the white dudes who signed it, and hence, where the use comes from.

9:12 AM  
Blogger HouseRunner said...

the light at the end of the tunnel is now visible. All aboard a train that isn't a wreck!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I see what you mean about his signature:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Us-decl-indep.jpg

4:42 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

Oh duh, I'm a dumbass, please forgive me--I was a history major and I have taught American Govermnment so I can only blame being stressed out from the thesis--it was not the Constitution, but the Declaration of Independence. I think that it was also a really bold statement. If my memory serves me well (and this just might be Philadelphia folklore) someone (maybe even him?) made some speech about how it would considered a treason to sign a document telling England to bugger off, and he said something like "America, Let's Roll" and signed it all big and proud.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page