Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Done!

Today I turned in my thesis. Unless the graduate office calls me back because of format issues, it is done. As such, I picked up a cap and gown, as it seems that I really will be graduating in August. You can just call me Master Molly from now on!

Today was also a very busy day as we prepared for camping tomorrow (actually later today, as it has stretched into the wee hours of the morning): I had not only my thesis to tend to, but various other errands to run, like holding the mail, picking up some things in town, going to the bank, etc. There was also a trip to the camping goods store where I picked up a new sleeping bag and a leatherman tool, so we can ward off any bastards we meet--don't worry Mom, we'll take 'em!

After that, it did not end, as we still needed to buy groceries and attempt to put up the tent in a practice run. I also needed to do my laundry. Eric and I headed off to the laundromat around the corner from me. Everything started swell enough, and we headed off to Walmart so Eric could buy some flip-flops. After we returned, we noticed that there was a strange crackling sound and some flames coming from the dryers. Hmm? Smoke was spewing from above the unit and filling up a part of the dryer itself. We went and fetched the laundry lady, and she couldn't quite see the flames?! Eric was given the extinguisher and he went to town. I've never seen one of those things in action, but he obviously either had previous knowledge or had studied Backdraft really well. Gotta love Kurt and Patrick! Anyway, thanks to Eric, the place did not burn down, and myself and another patron took our wet duds elsewhere to dry. Nothing says "bad for business" more than flames from ancient dryers.

That was probably the most exciting thing of the day, although I did beat Eric at air hockey, as I finally went to the 'modern laundromat' in another part of town. It was cool and really clean. I don't think that I will be returning to the other place... We checked this evening and it was still standing!

We also were successful in our trial run of the tent set up. And in the near dark!!! We are ready to take on the Upper Peninsula, and I will let you all know how it all went--we have no set plans on when we will get back--just depends on the weather and how much we can stand eating potatoes. No, this is not some Ukrainian thing, I'm just not into buying pots and pans for camping, so if you can't put it in the fire with some aluminum foil, I ain't making it! But we will most likely be back in a week. Some of the places we will be visiting are: Mackinac Island (http://www.mackinac.com/), Hiawatha National Forest (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/hiawatha/), Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (http://www.nps.gov/piro/), and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (http://www.nps.gov/slbe/). Wish us well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page