Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Leaving On a Jet Plane

Ah yes, that time has come.

And I am still packing, sorting, and getting ready.

Sometimes I really do hate myself. I should have done all of this earlier. But things are mostly done. Just need to sort through the 10,000+ papers that the Peace Corps has sent out since October and finish putting things away. The only stuff left to pack are travel guides and computer stuff.

My duffle bag is packed to the gills. It's crazy heavy. I am hoping that there will be no need for public transportation at all on my journey to my host family's home once I do arrive in Ukraine. I just don't see how I could manage to carry it and everything else.

For the record I have:
1 huge duffle bag weighing in at over 70 pounds.
1 largish back pack that I have attempted to keep under 30 pounds (PC only allows 100 max and I have no idea if they have maxes on how much 1 bag can weigh)
1 large garment bag that I will use as a carry on.
1 lap top bag

That's a lot for one person to carry, but I know that it can be done. Unfortunately I can already feel my lower back revolting. There will be spasms somewhere tomorrow.

In the meantime, in case it has been misplaced or unknown to you, I can be reached here until I do settle in. I have tried to keep this blog private, meaning unsearchable, and while spam has found itself here, I don't think that anyone else has:

US Peace Corps/Ukraine
PCV Me (use my real name here)
PO Box298
01030
Kyiv, Ukraine

if you need a street address for something, you can e-mail me about that and I can get it to you.

As far as my state of mind has been going, I have felt relatively calm if you can believe that. I do get waves of "ah! what am I doing?" or wishing that I have more time, or just wanting to cry, but I haven't broke down yet. My bet is that if it doesn't happen tomorrow at the airport it will happen the first night I will be alone in a room with a family who speaks little English. The water works will certainly be going then.

I think that I've mentioned this before as well, but for those curious about the schedule, what I know is that tomorrow we get some training stuff and then on Saturday it is more procedure stuff (you know, being culturally sensitive... something so many Americans are gifted at) and tips on how to keep safe. Don't worry folks, I already know what they are going to say: don't go out alone at night if you can help it and don't drink too much or at all. Since booze is not my poison of choice (ice cream is) I don't think that will be an issue. Sunday afternoon we take off for Germany where we arrive early Monday morning. From there we take off for Kyiv and then we wind up someplace in the outskirts. My bet is that it will be some sort of old fallout shelter/bunker so it will be somewhat ironic that Americans sent by the US government to aid another country will be staying there. But I could be wrong, it could be real posh. A Hilton maybe.

Also, I mentioned earlier today to someone that you can leave anonymous comments on here... When I checked that out I realized that being the crazy ultra private person that I am, I did not allow that. I fixed it, though, so if anyone has a question, comment, or whatever, you can go ahead and leave it without having to sign up. Always thinking about, dear reader.

Today I said goodbye to my only sibling, my father and one of my best friends. Tomorrow I say goodbye to life as I know it. But right now I've got some papers to sort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page