Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

The Visitor

Earlier this week a volunteer stopped by for a discussion about whether or not they should stay in Ukraine. They had texted days earlier wondering if a "meeting" could be arranged.

They ended up coming here briefly and brought with them a special guest--a tiny black street kitten. Upon seeing the creature, I knew they weren't going anywhere and I was happy for the divine intervention of sorts. The little guy was really cute and very affectionate. His name had not been decided, so I made it my mission to dub the little fella since I had failed at giving a winning name for my friends newborn son (what is wrong with Sergei?). As the owner was illustrating to me the latest fashion of Oslo, I looked at the little black lump on their tummy and thought-"Yes!"-Oslo! They pondered it for more than a moment and I knew I was on to something. After an hour or so, I further drove the name in as I suggested that they could also call him "Meowslo." How could anyone resist?

It was believed that the lil guy should have a say, so names where written down and crumpled as we watched for him to make his move. He chose Buck several times. Hmm. Taking matters into their own hands, the owner tried again until Oslo was selected. And it seems that Oslo will stick.

After they took off I quite missed little Meowslo. I later talked on the phone with the owner who encouraged me to find one of my own.

I have been seriously considering it, as the owner pointed out, day-to-day life is better with a living creature and it will make up for the hassles of figuring out what do when on vacation. Things like kitty passports do exist, so it would be possible to take a cat home, if need be, but the question would be, "home to where?"

So I'm weighing the options and looking for other opinions. As the winter creeps closer and the semester settles in the idea becomes more appealing but would it be fair to get a pet while I would easily be gone one third of the year? Can you all tell me what you think?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kittens
-e

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page