Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Embarrassing Situation

So, yesterday, as you know, I moved out of Ohio. I got help cleaning till the wee hours of the night, got myself three hours of sleep, had a tasty McDonald's breakfast and headed to the library to write stuff down here. After that I sat and waited in the parking lot until 10:30am. My check out was for 10am and I was wondering what kept them so long. It then occurred to me: I was to check out on the 10th. Yesterday was the 9th.

I then pondered for a minute, should I just stay for an extra day, go out and have that big last bash (and totally last minute) that I had wanted to do? I looked behind me at the mass of my belongings in the car and thought about what a pain in the ass it would be to do something as simple as find a clean pair of underwear, and also about calling my mom and disappointing her. So I called up the agency and the line was busy and just decided to drive over there and see if they could see me, which they were able to do (thankfully!) and checked me out. I was on the road by 11am.

Since I only had three hours of sleep though, it was not long before I was too tired to drive and had to pull over at service stations to sleep for a bit. Unfortunately, in Ohio, they don't have nice rest stops, they are in a circle with no trees or shade and it was terribly hot. Therefore, it was impossible to sleep, so I went inside looking for a restaurant where I would be waited on. Max & Erma's it was. I must have looked like death warmed over as I sat down in the booth and gazed over their short menu and asked for more time as the soda kept coming. I could not believe that a damn salad at a turnpike stop would cost me over $8, but there it was. The sandwiches were $9, so I was stuck. There was nothing on that menu for under $4, and the appetizers were as much as the salad, so I had no choice. Thankfully, it took awhile and I leaned against the wall a bit until I thought that people were watching and would snap back up again. I made several other stops and was actually able to sleep for about 15 minutes somewhere before PA. Somewhere along the way in Pennsylvania (after Bedford, I believe) the radio kicked back in (it's tempermental like that) and I was able to wake up more, scanning through the stations looking for some dance/pop tunes. I really had a craving for some upbeat Gwen Stefani tracks, and got to listen to "Hollaback Girl" a bit, but it was never very clear.

Anyway, I made it home and was super excited because I forgot that my mom has a cat (she got him this year, and I always do tend to forget for some reason). I still have to empty out the car because I feel asleep when she was watching 24 and woke up for real around 10:30am or so. Ah, such is the life, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

As you left early, do you get a refund for that day?

What do you plan on doing until you leave for Ukraine?

10:55 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

No refunds, you just have to be out by a certain day--so you could leave a month early and get back no $$.

Until then... Watch bad TV, perhaps find some type of work, visit some friends, pack, and hang out with family. I believe that there are some things that need to be done for my brother's upcoming wedding too.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page