Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Saturday, November 05, 2005

To Love!

Last week when I went over to Sveta's parents house for the shower (yup, once a week I get to feel a steady slow trickle of water from a hand held shower-thingie, it's fantastic!) we had a small meal after showering.

Alcohol usually will accompany such types of gatherings and in company that I trust, I feel comfortable having a bit. The first toast of vodka was to me finding my other half here in Ukraine. The second toast was to love.

Ukrainians are obsessed with the fact that me (as well as the other two young ladies in my group) are single. One host mother even insinuated, what is the point? We are all too old anyway.

Most women I've met got married before they were 20. Actually, this is basically all the women that I have met. I hear that in the big cities that this is not the norm, and we shall see--time will tell. But I also hear that them encouraging me to go out with some Ukrainian dude is also a token of their own affection for me, and that they want me to be happy, as family is the basis of happiness in Ukraine.

While I have no desires to actually do this, I suppose I will have to take the compliment and I'll certainly accept the free cake, vodka, and other things that accompany being one of three single American women in a small community not used to such exotic beauties.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since when are you single?

Dont go out with a Ukrainian dude. Not that im predjudiced or anything, but I think maybe their standards of gender equality might be a bit different from those in the enlightened west (ha ha). Im sure you know this already.
-eoin

11:47 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

Eoin, I've already surmized this, even before I left. I'm hoping to meet some young naive PCV.

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page