Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Monday, October 31, 2005

The Cost of Milk

Perhaps you have found yourself wondering, exactly how much does she make? Well, every week or two weeks we get an envelope from the PC. We get about 240 hyrena, I think. Divide by 5 and you get the US dollar amount.

I have not had to do much shopping, simply because I brought a lot of stuff that I need and eat mostly at my host family's house. Occasionally I'll get tea (which is usually less than 1 UA (I really don't know how to say their rate of currency, or even spell it....excuse me, please) or buy a beer (usually 2.40-3 UA). As you can see, all of those things are well under a US dollar.

However, conversely, I mailed several letters home to the US this morning, and it cost 7 UA. This is relatively the same amount that you would pay in America. Yesterday, when doing errands with Sveta, I realized that a bottle of 2 in 1 Pantene costs 32 UA. That's over $6 folks, and we aren't talking about a BJ size bottle either. Go figure.

Other things are really expensive too, like batteries, which are sold per battery. Film is also very expensive, although I am told that printer cartridges are cheap. Cell phone are ridiculously expensive, it is hard to find one for under $70. On top of that you don't have a "plan" you simply buy minutes for it and use it from there. Some folks do this in the US, but I never have and am not looking forward to using this method here in Ukraine. Several people in my group have purchased cell phones, but I'm waiting for to find out what coal mining town I'm stuck in before plunking down that kind of change.

There are also certain things that you just don't think about so much in the US. Like drinking water. I have to buy my drinking water here, and the PC allowance is for 3 UA a day. Sometimes this will work, sometimes it won't. As such, I usually don't buy water and just drink tea all the time. Plus it's hard to find water without gas in it. They love mineral water. Even in juice. If I'm lucky there will be some kompot around to drink or juice. Kompot is made from boiled fruits. It's actually pretty good.

I am sure that you are all concerned about the gas prices, although I don't really know how to compare them seeing as how here it is in liters. But it seems to be around 80 cents for a liter.

Such is life here, and I do tend to actually spend less than 2 dollars a day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you didn't tell us how much milk costs! And this is what I really want to know.

I'm glad you're hangin' in there as the fateful placement day comes closer. I can't wait to hear where you'll be (even if you can).

Do they do Halloween there in any way, shape, or form? All the kids in my building are currently running wild in the hallway and I am getting minor heart attacks every time the very loud door buzzer sounds.

I really did get spoiled at the end there--and therefore miss you tons--

--K.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

K--I miss you tons too! How are you keeping youself busy nowadays anyway? I don't know the price of milk, I don't drink it and it typically comes in plastic bags from the market. I'll talk about Halloween in a post I guess.

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page