Two Dollars A Day

Photos and thoughts from the past and present and dreams about the future.

Monday, December 03, 2007

Vienna Day Two

On my second day I wanted to explore the larger art museum that houses some of Gustav Klimt's faous works. Off to a late start, I had extreme difficulty finding it, but came across Karlplatz and another Christmas market along the way.

I also found some Russian monument about WWII and defeating facists (in Austria, go figure). It made me nostaglic for my old home.

The museum (I am assuming) must have been some old Hapsburg hangout and the grounds themselves are imporessive before even considering the collection. Klimt's famous painting "The Kiss" is there, along with at least a dozen of his other beautiful works of art. Seraut, Picasso, Monet, Matisse, Van Gogh, Renoir, Max Oppenheimer and other famous Austrian painters all have paintings on display here.

It was getting dark by the time I left and I still had not seen St. Stephan's Cathedral, in the center of the city. Viewing its spire from the museum, I headed off into that direction passing a beautiful park and more beautiful buildings before entering the large Gothic church.

Halfway into tmy journey home, I was a bit overwhelmed by the days events and had an awful headache. I was to meet up with 2 other RPCVs that next day so decided to go home and get some rest. It was while I had my eyes closed, resting, that the Aussie came in and told me about the unexpected RPCV downstairs. It was a good ending to the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page